Goals of Accreditation
1. Universality: quality processes in the diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer should be accessible to all women regardless of the geographical location of their homes.
2. Uniformity: The quality indicators required must be equal for all Breast Centers.
Standards for Quality Requirements
1. Breast Centers should be independent units possessing autonomous capacities.
2. The Multidisciplinary Centers should include specialists of all diagnosis and treatment disciplines and hold weekly meetings for the discussion of all individualized clinical cases.
3. All specialists of the Breast Center should undergo continuous updating training. It is highly recommended that all members of the Breast Center have accredited training in Communication and Interview Skills. The quality of communication between medical staffs and between the patients and physicians is considered to be a key point of the team approach and the patient should be at the center of this approach.
4. The Center should have updated protocols for diagnosis, treatment and monitoring of Breast Cancer.
5. The Center should provide services in the fields of prevention, early diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer, breast pathology, genetic studies, psycho-oncology assistance and social support. It should also provide promotion of breast health.
6. A Database Unit should record all quality indicators. These data will be available to conduct an audit. Records of activities should be dated back for the last year for the first accreditation process and for the last three years for further re-accreditations.
7. Patients should be provided with information on clinical trials and all treatment options.
8. Accreditation will be offered to Breast Centers with medical teams that are members of societies affiliated to SIS.