International accreditation and certification program
The SIS has set up an international accreditation and certification program for breast units that already fulfill a number of quality criteria and already have a national certification (either by a national scientific society or by the high authority of national health of the country). This international certification can only be given to the breast units where part of the medical team is a member of a scientific society affiliated to the SIS.
Goals of Accreditation
- Universality: quality processes in the diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer should be accessible to all women regardless of the geographical location of their homes.
- Uniformity: The quality indicators required must be equal for all Breast Centers.
Standards for Quality Requirements
- Breast Centers should be independent units possessing autonomous capacities.
- The Multidisciplinary Centers should include specialists of all diagnosis and treatment disciplines and hold weekly meetings for the discussion of all individualized clinical cases.
- All specialists of the Breast Center should undergo continuous updating training. It is highly recommended that all members of the Breast Center have accredited training in Communication and Interview Skills. The quality of communication between medical staffs and between the patients and physicians is considered to be a key point of the team approach and the patient should be at the center of this approach.
- The Center should have updated protocols for diagnosis, treatment and monitoring of Breast Cancer.
- The Center should provide services in the fields of prevention, early diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer, breast pathology, genetic studies, psycho-oncology assistance and social support. It should also provide promotion of breast health.
- A Database Unit should record all quality indicators. These data will be available to conduct an audit. Records of activities should be dated back for the last year for the first accreditation process and for the last three years for further re-accreditations.
- Patients should be provided with information on clinical trials and all treatment options.
- Accreditation will be offered to Breast Centers with medical teams that are members of societies affiliated to SIS.
If you wish to apply for the SIS accreditation of your breast unit and fullfill the requirements, please find below the full document. If you have any question or once you completed the file, you can contact us and we will get back to you.
Recently Accredited Centers
SIS Accredited Centers
Below are listed accredited cancers in the last 4 years. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the accreditation process can be performed remotely if needed.
- West Pomeranian Oncology Center, Szczecin, Poland Reaccreditation 2019
- Breast Center, Oncology Department, Tadeusz Kozarowski Hospital, Opole, Poland, 2019
- Breast Center, Florence Nightingale Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey, 2019
- University Center for Breast Diseases, Krakow, Poland, 2017
- Oncology Center, Bidgoszcz, Poland, 2017
- Oncology Center, Pomeranian Hospital, Gdynia, Poland, 2018
- Military Institute of Medicine, Warsaw, Poland, 2018
- West Pomeranian Oncology Center, Szczecin, Poland, 2018 (Reaccreditation)
- Strasbourg University Hautpierre Hospital, France, 2018
- Institut de cancérologie Strasbourg Europe, France, 2021
- Tel Aviv Medical Center, Tel Aviv, Israel
- National Cancer Institute, Vilnius, Lithuania, 2014
- Holy Cross Cancer Center, Kielce, Poland, 2015
- University Hospital Arnau de Vilanova, Lleida, Spain, 2017
West Pomeranian Oncology Center
Breast Center, Oncology Department
Tadeusz Kozarowski Hospital, Opole, Poland
Florence Nightingale Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
University Center for Breast Diseases
Pomeranian Hospital, Gdynia, Poland
Military Institute of Medicine
West Pomeranian Oncology Center
Institut de cancérologie Strasbourg Europe
Tel Aviv Medical Center
Tel Aviv, Israel
National Cancer Institute
Holy Cross Cancer Center
University Hospital Arnau de Vilanova
If you wish to apply for the SIS Accreditation for your Breast Unit please complete the application form bellow.